Thursday, September 13, 2007

My New Pedometer & Google Maps

I got my 20% off members coupon from REI the other day. Since I'm doing all this walking & hiking for exercise, I went out and got a pedometer. It was hard to choose. I didn't want a simple step counter, nor could I afford an expensive GPS-enhanced model. So, I went with this $25 one from Sportsline since it included some extra features including a mile/km counter.

My standard walk is 30 minutes. Since google maps allows for multiple destinations, I was able to get a fairly accurate reading of 1.6 miles (my house as the start & my neighbor as the finish.) Well, the test worked well. With no calibration, I took 3390 steps in 30 min for 1.60 miles. It was spot on!

If the weather holds, I usually go on my weekly 2 mile walking trail walk tomorrow. I'm trying to push my daily to 2 miles and my weekly to 4. If it remains accurate, the pedometer should help me with that. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: