Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My three basic principles

Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans. - Allen Saunders


A few years ago I started working on a personal code. So far this code has three basic principles.

Acknowledge, move on!

The chosen name for this blog and essentially my own personal serenity prayer. Oddly, the statement itself is a throwaway line from an old 80's cop movie. The movie name and the scene is completely lost to me, but the concept isn't. It's about recognizing your past, but not dwelling in it. It's about understanding grief and loss, but also moving forward. It's not an easy thing. My current health issues are a perfect example. In many ways I'm grieving the “old” me, but I'm also moving forward with hope for the future.

In all things Balance!

This is a concept I got from my Frisbee golf days during that short stint in seminary. We all wrote bible verses on our Frisbees. Mine was from the Song of Solomon, 11.1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight. Over the years, this phrase has stuck with me as a source of incite into my own life. Now, with my medical problems, I have to have “balanced” amount of physical activity. Too little or too much both trigger fibromyalgic episodes. Yet, the concept of maintaining a balanced life goes beyond that. It touches work and personal life, responsibly and play, eating right and enjoying something naughty, following the rules and bending them. It is a state of personal “perfection” for which I daily strive. Balance.

Seek a just and equitable society.

This is the culmination of a personal faith journey. Raised a Lutheran and constantly struggling with the complete failure of most doctrinal teachings to show me how or why God would still leave a chance for failure after giving up his only son, but cautious about the heretical option of Universalism, I applied acknowledge and move on! I moved on to seeking a just and equitable society. I trust God to take care of the rest. For a full treatment on this topic, see my post This I believe.


No comments: