Monday, September 14, 2009

Week One: Eagles vs Panthers - Sigh

The Eagles won. It's what I wanted. So, why am I so miserable?

My "home town" team vs my "home" team was great...

Until it wasn't.

Having lived in Charlotte for 5 years, I've earned the right to pull for the Panthers in all things except when they play against the Eagles. So, what I wanted yesterday was a hard-fought, exciting matchup where the Eagles won late in the 4th quarter. Instead, I got uncertainty.

Delhomme was horrid. Sure, the Eagles defense had a lot to do with it, but he was horrid. I was excited and worried when I saw a clock-draining opening drive from Delhomme and the Panthers. The Eagles responded with some great play on defense & special teams. In the first quarter, the Panthers took over 8 minutes to score 7 points. In the second quarter, the Eagles took less than 5 minutes to pour on 28.

If I could have stopped the game there, I would have been happy. But NOOOOO... We had to play a 2nd half. Delhomme had to stink it up even more. The Panthers were just horrid. But that wasn't the worst of it.

Donovan's got a cracked #@%@ing rib. It was like a movie drama. The "hero-king" gets hurt and the screen flashes to the once exiled friend who's next in line. Is that concern on his face or is he coldly calculating his position? The audience is spell-bound. This is money in the bank for the NFL. It's painful for the fans.

So, now I get to watch and wait as both teams figure out what to do with their quarterbacks before week 2. Sigh!


No comments: