Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Video Hardware Hell

I'm really hoping that posting this will make me feel better. I keep reminding myself that my problems are nothing compared to the problems of others. Doesn't make them any less infuriating.

Over the last year, I struggled with outrage at the apparent "lemon" of a video card I got with my Dell Inspiron 530. My wife got a 530 just two months earlier and loves it. So, I shopped the deals and got the same system (only my video card was an ATI card and her's is an NVidia.) After months of agitation I finally decided to upgrade. That process was not without it's pitfalls. Most new cards require bigger power supplies than my system has. But, I eventually found a 1Gig card that runs of a 350Watt Power Supply. For 2 weeks, I learned about all the cool things I'd been missing from Lord of the Rings Online.

And then today my 20" widescreen Samsung display died. It binks on/off once every few milliseconds. It's painful to watch. There's no fix out there that I can find. I've tried all sorts of variations, it's as much a lemon as that stupid card was.

I fought back the urge to toss it out the window (it would be my own yard I would clean) and proceeded to make an old 19" standard res LCD monitor work. I'm "in business." I hate it, but it works. Time to take stock of the situation.

15 hours ago, I selected to use my big "super giftcard" to get gifts at REI & B&N books. I didn't need these items. But knowing now, I wish I hadn't bought new exercise gloves, attachments to use my hiking stick in snow, and books. I could have applied the whole amount at Tiger Direct I would have covered the bulk of the price of a new monitor. Everyone would have been happy. BUT NOOOO.

So, now negotiations will have to begin w/ Slick for me to get a new video monitor. I'm so accustomed to wide screen display, I'm not sure I want to go back. This sucks. I can't emotionally or financially justify the monitor. I loved my old one (before it broke) but I don't need it.

Sigh!

Nope: Don't really feel better. Ah well.

3 comments:

Nothing Knew said...

Two points:

1. How long have you had the monitor? Lemons are only within a certain time period (I think it depends on the state) and usually refers to cars.

2. Friday is black friday. Take a look at the ads...hell check out the online deals. 24" wide screens are running pretty low. I haven't checked recently but I am sure you can get something similar to your original for under $150.

I have a couple CRTs sitting in the garage. All you've got to do is stop by and pick it up...that's only a 9-11 hour drive, right?

LRNs said...

Yeah, it's not actually a "lemon." It lasted 2-3 years.

I'm doing some preliminary shopping today. My plan is to hop online Friday morning. If I find a deal I like, I'll get a monitor. Otherwise, I'll go to Costco and get one sometime next week. I'm either going to try to get a 19-20" for under $150 or try for a 22-23" for under $200.

No CRTs! I got rid of all mine after some serious efforts.

Nothing Knew said...

CRT was a joke. Waste on money on electricity and horrible image quality, compared to LCD.

But look around a little bit before jumping in. There are soe good technology deals to be had this year...and the monitors don't always go first thing in the morning at these places.

It might be worth going out at 9-10am on Friday and hitting a couple stores.