Tuesday, June 24, 2008

USA Men's Olympic Basketball Squad

So, I know most of you don't care about hoops. Even less of you care about Team USA. The roster (barring injury) has been announced and I don't like it. The good news is that the roster is a group of committed players instead of a "throw them all together like a summer league and hope they can play." The bad news is there's only one true center, Dwight Howard. Howard is a force and international play is a more wide-open game, but I don't like it.

The confusing part is that the team has 3 point guards and several other players who can effectively run an offense. LeBron James has competed in the skills test during All Star weekend. Dwyane Wade is a shooting guard that has played the point position effectively. So, essentially half the team are ball-handlers.

I expect Carlos Boozer and Chris Bosh will have to both split time as the 2nd Center. This leaves a team that could easily have 3 guards on the floor with no true center & James or Melo playing in the 4-spot.

Not sure how I feel about this team. It's probably because I believe in defense & solid paint play.

No comments: