Saturday, June 23, 2007

Nickle & Dime Me Until I Die

So, first a little back-story:

One step on my simplification and efficiency plan is to look over stuff like our various phone services. See we never ever use the house phone. In the 2.5 months I've been at home we've averaged one real inbound call a week and zero outbound. 99.999% of the calls on our house phone are of the telemarketing variety. 99.999% of our personal calls are done on our cell phones. Slick has insisted that we need a land line for emergencies. I've kept it so I don't have to give out my cell phone number to people. In other words, out of a concern that we can't dial 911 & don't want SPAM on our cell phones, we've been paying $35/month for phone, long-distance & voicemail. Does this sound stupid to anyone else?

Today:

Today, we went to Verizon Wireless and got new local phone numbers. (All part of the plan) By the time the saleswoman was done, we walked out with 2 new phones for free, 300 more minutes a month, and a smaller monthly bill. That's right, our bill will be smaller. Yes, now we have a brand-new 2-year contract, but so what. Verizon Wireless has provided great service for us. They rock!

Anyway, we get home from shopping and I find out that our house phone is dead. I've got to call service. That's right, I'm now calling for service on something I never use, but pay $35/monthly. While I'm on hold I find that they have all these really cheap basic plans. Cool, I'll just switch to one of those. Right? Wrong! Only if I have DSL! I can cut out voicemail & long distance and pay $25/month, but I can't go lower. I nearly canceled our phone service right there.

So, today was a mixed bag. I've got a nice new phone and we cut $20 out of the monthly bills. But, I've also got to wait for a Windstream service person to call me (on my cell phone) to set up a time to come fix my land line...the one I never use. How stupid does that sound?!? I tell you how stupid...

I think the house phone is going by-by!

No comments: