Sunday, April 13, 2008

John 14:12

John 14:12

"Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these because I am going to the Father." - NRSV

iDad recently asked me if I could tell him why this verse holds so much meaning for me. The context of his question was not, he assured me, in any way related to any kind of stewardship Sunday planning. When I pressed him for the details, he told me that it was for a sermon next week. With just a bit more pressing I learned that the congregation was working on some kind of "gifts" survey. The more I heard, the more I was certain that the context of the question was stewardship Sunday planning. We went back and forth a bit with our typical verbal sparring before I gave him a half-hearted answer that left us both wanting more.

Now in both our defenses, any kind of hint of a stewardship discussion tends to put most people on the defensive. Pastors become defensive because they don't want people to immediately think of money and/or being overwhelmed with extra commitments. They want people to think about the Gospel's call to fellowship and service. Parishioners (and sons) don't want to get into a discussion about shelling out more money or giving up more free time. Somehow, I generally leave any type of discussion about stewardship bouncing between guilt and self-justification.

Still, in any context, his question is with merit. What is it about this verse that I find so appealing? The simple answer could be that it was my confirmation verse. I can not verify that. At some point I read this verse and it blossomed into meaning for me. For a long while I surmised that I was just being lazy. Surely, there are better verses to connect with. Part of me also questions if I chose it out of hubris. It's not a typical favorite verse, yet it sounds smart and full of meaning. Still waters run deep and all that crap. But I digress...

At some point in my life -- in that nebulous zone between the baptismal waters hitting my forehead & my finding this verse -- God called me his (or her) own. I believed. I believed enough that I struggled with a Call to Ordination for years. I had deep personal burning bush moments that were unfortunately lacking fire or the loud booming voice. (I continue to blame Cecil BDeMille for my false expectations.) From that struggle, I learned one simple truth: We are all "Called" by God.

This is the part where I originally opted for a long tangent about Liberation Theology & the works of various spiritualists like Henri Nouwen & Edward Hays. I eventually got into my own personal concept of being an instrument of God's Sanctification. Somehow, this information seems incredibly important part of this explanation. It is, but it isn't. It is because it explains my drive to focus on relationships and understanding of our collective potential as "wounded healers." It isn't because I've already lost most anyone who's reading due to my lack of brevity.

So, let's get right down to it!

On the surface, this is a bold statement of instruction to the faithful. Christ is saying, "You're gonna kick ass in my name!" You might surmise that this is a triumphant statement of works righteousness! Calvinists rejoice! The Lutheran poster-boy's favorite verse is a statement of works!

Yes, I believe in the place and purpose for works in our lives, but no I reject works righteousness. I am not "climbing Jacob's ladder" or buying my way into heaven. So, what gives?

Here's what it says to me.

The believer WILL do the works of Christ. It's not just a statement about now, it's about tomorrow and the next day. I WILL DO! I may not have. I may not tomorrow. It's not a statement of law. It's Grace. Believe and you will be an instrument of God! You may not think it's possible. You may be a complete fuck up. You may be sick, tired, confused. You may fail to tithe appropriately. You may piss off your friends, screw your co-workers and pollute the environment, but because of your faith you WILL be an instrument of God.

This isn't a carte blanche justification to do wrong or shrug responsibility. Luther says, "Sin boldly" for a reason. It's the grace to use your gifts as you are able. It's also the freedom to say "No" when you feel spiritually used up. Because when you least expect, Christ will say "YES" for you. In fact, you may find yourself doing greater works than you ever expected.

In closing: I want to thank my father for making me "waste" nearly 24-hours trying to articulate this without the compulsion to write an entire book. And you, dear readers, you should thanks to the delete button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!