Tuesday, April 22, 2008

OK, Perhaps I've Been Watching Too Much Anime

Remember my recent post about Anime? Well, tonight I logged onto the Netflix home page to see if there was anything in my recommendations area. They started a new thing on the main page that shows 4 to 5 genres of movies with cover art. The genres change based on some computer modeling of my rentals and interests. Well tonight's genres were: Anime SciFi, Anime Action, Anime Series, Anime Feature Films, Anime Fantasy. I think I bugged the system when I added all that Mobile Suit Gundam to my queue. Now, I'm not saying I miss the Jane Austin movies that appear on my suggestion list because I rent them for Slick from time to time, but man can not be entertained by Anime alone.

For the record, my current Netflix rentals are "Troy," "Juno" and "Kingdom of Heaven." (Not sure why I decided to watch two Orlando Bloom movies at once, but whatever.) Last night I watched DVR recordings of the Simpsons & SNL. Tonight, I watched Baseball.

My usual propensity for geeky obsessions aside, I am not as obsessed with Anime as the Netflix computers believe. I need some variety. I have to figure out how to get my SciFi series, Action Adventures and Slick's British romance movies back on the page.

Note: Actually, the strangest thing happened the other night. I just stopped the episode of the Simpsons I had recorded on the DVR and Masterpiece Theater appeared on the screen. Somehow, I found myself watching My Boy Jack. It's about the Kipling family during WWI and starred David Haig, Daniel Radcliffe & Kim Cattrall. Am I allowed to admit enjoying it?

No comments: