Friday, November 28, 2008

My iPod Touch - Part 1

Back in Sept my 1st Gen iPod Nano's battery stopped holding its charge. The charge was already going for months, but by Sept it was finished. The click wheel had also been giving me trouble for a few months. So, 3 months shy of it's 3rd birthday, my Nano was essentially dead. Now what?

The anti-iPod/iTunes crowd are right in their criticism of Apple's system. iPods are expensive. When the battery dies, you're kind of stuck. iTunes can be cumbersome. Apple's DRM system locks you in. I couldn't agree more with any of these complaints. Yet, my first instinct was another iPod. Heck, my 2nd, 3rd & 4th instincts were another iPod.

It was a great 3 years. I tend to take care of my gadgets, but when I like something - as I did my iPod - I use it a lot. The Nano went with me everywhere. I would use my Nano to walk, exercise, hike, work in the garage, nap, eat, clean, took it on my one and only trip to Europe, sit in coffee shops, grocery shop, even used it once to get a promotion at my old job (That's a funny story.)

When I went from Doctor's office to Doctor's office, from test to test trying to get a diagnosis for my Fibromyalgia, the iPod was there. When I learned that relaxation was an important part of managing my condition, I went straight to iTunes to download meditation podcasts onto my iPod. When I drove 12 hours to see my dying Grandmother in the hospital, my iPod (loaded with audio books) was my travel companion.

My wife openly admits that my iPod was the single best Christmas present she's ever given me. Whatever replaced my iPod had "big" yet small, portable shoes to fill.

At the same time as my iPod's unfortunate demise, 2 other events were occuring. First, we were coming to terms with the state of our 6 year old laptop. With it's minimal hard drive, dead battery & scratched up screen, it had long become little more than an over-sized email device. Second, Apple announced their new iPod lineup including the new 2nd Gen iPod Touch.

Why were these two events important? I knew that I needed a new MP3 device (or a repair of my Nano.) I also knew that we would have to start seriously considering something to replace the laptop. We both just got new desktops this year, so neither of us had any interest in buying another computer. Was there an alternative? I wanted an MP3 device. I wanted "mobile" access to my email and the web.

I wasn't considering a smart phone. Sure, I know plenty of people who love their Crackberries. iDad loves his iPhone. But, there was no long-term justification for the extra monthly cell phone costs. It just didn't fit my lifestyle or our budget. No, what I wanted was a portable WiFi device that would play music, videos, and games while allowing me to check my email & even do some web surfing. What I wanted was the new iPod Touch.

For a few more weeks, I pondered. The new generation Touch was minutes old. I'm purposefully not an early adopter. I'm skeptical of day-one reviews of products. The price tag was daunting. Still, the more I waited, watched, read, drove Slick nuts as I debated about it to her (not with her) the more I liked it. So, one day - perhaps out of a sheer desire to shut me up - Slick told me to buy one. I did.

Now, after nearly 2 months, I decided that it was finally time to write about it. Yes, I absolutely love the damn thing. But is it worth the insane cost? Yes and no. Did it replace my Nano, Laptop & even my Nintendo DS Lite? Yes and no. It's not flawless as the Apple-gushers might have you believe, but with the recent release of software version 2.2, it's getting even better. Mostly, it's right for me, but may not be right for you.

Every negative thing said about the new iPod Touch is 100% true. It's stupid expensive for an MP3 player. It's stupid small and lacking in Flash support for a web-surfing device. Most of the "Accelerometer" based games will suck your battery dead. For these reasons, people who waste their money buying these for their kids are either stupid or rich or both. Some 3rd-party applications crash regularly. Because it's not a phone, there are times when you can't check your email or use the web. It's basically an iPhone without the Phone or the camera. (Or the monthly service fees.) Did I mention that it was expensive? Did I mention the word stupid?

It's all true, but it's all missing the mark. The cost is high for an MP3 player. But it's not just an MP3 player. It's high for a video playback system. But it's not just a video playback system. It's also not just a portable gaming device or a mobile WiFi device. The Touch is not a "replacement" for a laptop or desktop, but a reasonable option when one is not available. It's all these things. You can find individual things that can do one part or another better, but the complete package is what makes it a very good value.

In Part 2, I'll break down the features, discuss issues like battery management & get into iTunes controls.

1 comment:

A Pocket Full of Posey said...

So glad someone else is addicted to the awesomeness that is the iPod. I am currently doing CPR on mine right now. I think it will work, but I am afraid to double check.

80 gb is the perfect size for us - 6500 songs, several hundred podcasts, including They Might be Giants video podcasts for the kids. I am just getting into audio books - plenty of room to store them!!