Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Claiming a Life of Simplicity

The title of this post comes from something my pastor said to me the other day. It is officially being added to my list of personal principles.

Now for what's going on and the reason for the title.

The wife and I are planning a radical change in our lifestyle to deal with my fibromyaligia & chronic fatigue syndrome. The first step happened today, I left my job. I am not seeking re-employment at this time. Instead, I will be focusing on my health and our well-being. This change will most likely necessitate our selling this house and moving somewhere more cost-effective. We are going to make a number of major lifestyle and spending changes as part of this process. We will probably be dropping cable and just using netflix. (Keeping high-speed internet and World of Warcraft!)

I will be 35 this year. For me, the window of realistic expectations for starting a family is closing. We simply can not start one with my health the way it is. We hope that this change will be the first step in finally being able to start a family.

Part-time or telecommuting work are things I'm thinking about for down the road. But, our big goal is to adjust our lifestyles to one income and to the simple idea of claiming a life of simplicity.

No comments: