Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Hope of Easter

My favorite web comic, PvP had an amusing cartoon on Thursday. Brent was trying to get out of work on Friday by claiming that he was Christian. His boss, Cole told him he could go if he could explain the meaning of Good Friday. Brent couldn't.

Well, today is Easter. Christ is RISEN! What does that mean? God's promise is fulfilled.

John 3:16 (also known as the sporting event sign!)

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

This year, I'm hoping that Easter has one more meaning for me. I've been living my own 40-days. A Lenten discipline of pain. It was not lost on me that I left my job during holy week, or that I've started reflecting on my spiritual discipline during Holy Week. So, this year, I hope that Easter is a re-birth for me as well. I've given up a lot for a promise of a better life.

As the song goes:
We've come this far by faith. Leaning on the Lord. Trusting in his Holy Word! Oh, don't turn around. We've come this far by faith.

Happy Easter everyone. May the resurrection be a blessing for you NOW!

1 comment:

christine mtm said...

if you go to my blog for saturday you can read my easter sermon.

btw, i loved that cartoon in the last post.