Saturday, April 28, 2007

Nothing New Under the Sun

I have to borrow the title of a friend's blog today. I have empirical data supporting his theory that there truly is nothing new under the sun. In this case, it's about original thought.

In January 2006, Slick and I started playing World of Warcraft (WoW.) The first thing I had to do was choose a name for my Hunter. Slick watched as I made up the name by writing random stuff down on a piece of paper. Finally, after a lot of scribbling and a beverage, I entered "Beroth" and a noob was born.

A few months ago, Blizzard (makers of WoW) introduced a player database called the Armory. It allows people to look up character stats out of game. This is great for comparing yourself to other players for gear upgrades and/or general improvement.

And what did I discover when I searched for myself? There were 26 characters named Beroth and over 50 more names starting with Beroth. There are 6 other Hunters named Beroth. AND there are two of us that are level 70! So much for an original thought. Oh well, at least I appeared first when I did the search!

Yep, further proof that there's nothing new under the sun.

No comments: