Saturday, May 12, 2007

Stereo used to be cool - remember WMMR's Headphone's Only night?

I've been going through my CD collection converting stuff to play on my iPod. Now, I love my iPod. I enjoy getting iTunes gift cards for Christmas. I love experiencing new music, but lately I feel like there's something missing.

As a kid who grew up in Philly during the 80's, I appreciate good "headphone" music. See, 93.3 WMMR had late night "show" called the "Headphones Only" show. They would play the best classic rock. See, a lot of "older" rock really experimented with stereo (this is before THX and 5.1 sound.) The coolest part was the separation of instruments and effects. Listen to a classic rock album like Pink Floyd's The Wall and you'll know what I'm talking about. Newly recorded stuff, especially stuff formated for the computer-age has really lost something here.

So, turn off that Idol-crap, take out your old CD's or your old Vinyl, plug in a really good set of headphones and go to town with some Floyd or my wife's favorite, Led Zep.

2 comments:

christine mtm said...

i've found a similar effect when listening to the foo fighters on my ipod headphones.

but there is nothing like pink floyd's the wall for what you are talking about.

Nothing Knew said...

...back in my day we didn't have these new-fangled gizmos. We listened to our scratchy records and we liked it! We loved it!

Hey you damn kids! Get off my lawn!

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe