Monday, August 11, 2008

Signal Boost

I returned home this week to a horrendous case of Olympic fever. The only problem was that I was having problems with the reception to our NBC station. Digital signals are interesting. They don't get fuzzy like analog. Instead they have 3 phases: Perfect, Spotty & None. Due to a number of factors (mostly distance & antenna location) I deal with a lot of spotty signal performance. So, I did a bunch of research yesterday to determine if I could boost my reception OR if it was time to admit that I needed an outdoor antenna.

The short of the story is that I dramatically improved the reception to all 10 of my local stations by simply moving my little indoor antenna into the attic. I used the existing hole for my network cable. I can tap into my existing CATV cabling at some point if I want to make it pretty.

2 comments:

Nothing Knew said...

Looks to me like you need more insulation in that attic.

Congrats on figuring out the antenna problem. It must feel pretty neat living in the 1970's.

LRNs said...

Not many people in the 70's could watch the Olympics in beautiful High Definition on a 56" wide screen! It's groovy baby!