Monday, August 18, 2008

Suppostions of Faith vs Scientific Theory

Everyday after exercising, I take time to scan a variety of news sources. This morning I saw the following video link, No Credit for Creationism. The crux of it is that Christian colleges are teaching religious elements in their science classrooms and California isn't accepting those credits state-wide. One of the interviewed students commented that they are being taught the range of theories including intelligent design & evolution. The news story painted a picture of these colleges & their students as victims of the rules. Sigh! So much for objective journalism. (Not that it really exists.)

I admit bias in this situation. I admit that I find it difficult to look upon the purveyors of Creationism as anything but perversion of the Christian ideal & of rational scientific methodology. But then, this is my blog. But, I digress...

Creationism & it's twisted-sister known as intelligent design are disagreeable theology at best. The moment someone, for whatever reason, points at something and says, "God did that!" it is no longer science. Faith is a wonderful and beautiful thing. It's not science.

I do not believe in Evolution. Rather, I consider it the current scientific theory that best answers the scientific question of life on earth. Any argument that survival of the fittest or evolutionary divergence points to or away from God is a matter of faith and not science.

Science is not immoral. Science is amoral. There are those who would have you believe that this is not true. We all know the argument against Evolution. It does not point to God. It can be used as an argument against God's existence. It does not conform to a strict interpretation of the Bible. Intelligent design is the insidious response. Life is too amazing to have been an accident, therefore it points to a designer. We are told to "believe" that this is science. Rational thought? Perhaps. A matter of faith? Most definitely.

I believe, as a matter of faith, the core concept. God did make us. Evolution, creation, everything belongs to God. That may be it's most insidious part. Reasonable people of faith can not disagree with the core concept. When I attack - as I am now - Intelligent Design, it's supporters can call me anti-Christian. When I say that it has no place in a science classroom, it's supporters can also call me bias. And so, I become sad and embarrassed.

I am sad because both the faith I love & the science I studied are both being subverted. I'm embarrassed because it's not happening in some communist country or some oppressive middle-east nation, but here in our supposedly great nation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear Hear!

scripto said...

"I do not believe in Evolution. Rather, I consider it the current scientific theory that best answers the scientific question of life on earth."

Exactly. Well put.