Friday, August 01, 2008

That One More Thing & Then Off to OBX

Whew, I think I've done everything I need to do before leaving for the annual family vacation. From experience, it's important to empty the kitchen trash & clean that last dish before a week away from home. Trust me on this one! I've got about an hour before I need to run some last-minute errands (return some books to the library, stop at the bank...) then grab Slick at work and begin our trip.

We're off to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's become a family tradition.

It's a 9-hour trip and yet we don't leave the state. It's just that we live in the SW corner and we're driving to the NE corner & up a barrier island. We leave now and stop in a hotel so we can get there ahead of the traffic. If we don't hit Kittyhawk by noon, the drive can be extended by an hour or two. There are few things worse than driving for 8+ hours and be in sight of the last bridge only to get stuck in snarled traffic.

Well, you could be my sister. She spent 10+ hours in the car last year only to hit the traffic and have the AC go out in her Blazer. And last year we had the heat wave. So, the inside of her SUV must have been insane.

I've got the laptop packed and might blog a little. Still, the goal is to drink my fill of family (especially my niece & nephew) to the point where I can't stand any of them. ;-)

1 comment:

BostonPobble said...

When you get back, you've been picked over at mine for a blogging award. Enjoy the trip and safe home.