Sunday, September 21, 2008

Because My In-Laws Are Cooler Than Your In-Laws

Well, we're back from vacation with Slick's parents & their gaggle of retired teacher, baby-boomer friends. And look what the Queen left on our dresser on the first night...


That's right, it's a genuine Chase Utley bobble-head from some random fan night at Citizen's Bank Park. I'm not sure if we're unpacking it or not. It's definitely going on our Philadelphia Sport's Fan Shelf.

The week at OBX was spectacular. The house had an "ocean view" and a hot tub. The dogs (all 4 of them) liked to run around on the 3rd-floor deck barking at things. I even went in the ocean a few times (as did my dog.) The most amusing thing about the week was the laptops. Each couple had one and they used them like seasoned geeks. It was a reminder that you can teach retired teachers new tricks.

I planned to read a lot, but had some false starts with my reading choices: The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett & War of the Worlds by HG Wells. Instead I started two other books which are both very good. The first is The Shack by William P Young. It's good, really good, but way too serious for beach-reading. So, I picked up a novel called God's Spy by Juan Gomez-Jurado. God's Spy is a thriller involving a detective chasing a serial killer in Rome who's killing off Cardinals at the Vatican during the conclave to select the successor for Pope John Paul II. Both books are really good and I'm extremely torn now that I'm home. Do I continue with my deep, spiritual journey at the Shack or do I find out if there's another dead Bishop on the landing?

.

1 comment:

Nothing Knew said...

Don't unpack it!

It'll be worth more than your 401k in a couple weeks.

Welcome back