Saturday, September 06, 2008

Weekend

My Uncle is visiting this weekend.  It's been great.  I've used it as an excuse to cook & sight-see.  

Thursday night, was a grill-extravaganza.  I setup the webber kettle for indirect grilling and made some scallops wrapped in bacon, along with some jumbo shrimp, veggie screwers, and a mixed green salad with roasted picans & blue cheese.  I severed a bottle of Hogue Pinot Grigio.  I was a bit surprised when I realized it had a screw-cap.  After quickly reminding myself that I'm NOT a wine snob, I poured it and served it to my wife & uncle.  They said it was very good.  I can't be sure since my current medication keeps me from drinking.  C'est la vie!  

We finished off the evening playing some cards and then catching the 2nd half of the Giants vs Washington game.   Uncle and I watched about half of the McCain speech after the game.  We worked hard to be respectful, but one of us started arguing with the screen and that had us both cracking up.  He gave up and went to bed soon after.  

Friday was even more laid back.  Uncle and I hung out at breakfast and he joined me on the dog walk.  We went to the local Bridge & Rail Restaurant for some Carolina BBQ sandwiches at lunch, chatted in our seats for a while.  I only once politely reminded him that we're in a heavily republican town, but then I made my own "evil republicans" comment just after that.  "Check Please!"  

Not to be outdone by the previous night's meal, I severed in several stages.  First we had the fire-roasted bruschetta on french baguettes.  While they sipped their wine and ate their bruschette, I finished grilling the peaces for the grilled peach & mixed green salad with roasted picans & blue cheese all dressed with balsalmic & expensive olive oil.  The meal was finished off with locally grown sweetpotatoes & personal-sized cuts of london broil lightly seasoned with Lone Star Steak Rub (from my BBQ Bible book.)  We finished this meal off in our "theater room" watching "Stranger than Fiction."  Which, I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Saturday, Slick made her weekend low-fat scone recipy.  We drank out tea & coffee and talked about the days activities.  Those activities would see us driving to "Uptown" Charlotte.  We ate at Ri Ra's Irish Pub and then went to see the Pom Peii exhibit.  The exhibit did not blow my socks off the way that the Dead Sea Scrolls did, but it was impressive and I am glad I went.  

Tonight, I made a simple terriaki chicken served with rice & lightly saute' veggies.  We then went and watched "Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon."  Uncle hadn't seen it before.  Slick and I can aways rewatch it.  

Tomorrow is football day.  We' having a late brunch and then snacks all day while watching back-to-back football.  Chips & nice salsa, cheese & crackers,  fruit & veggies for dipping, and finally grilled wings.  I've got seasoning for spicy, jerk, bbq & lemon pepper wings.  

Good food, sports, movies, history museums, more good food.  It's the perfect weekend. 

No comments: