Thursday, October 09, 2008

I got your drill right here

The political advertising onslaught continues here in North Carolina. Once considered to be a Republican stronghold, Elizabeth Dole is vulnerable and McCain is apparently not winning here right now either. Fingers Crossed!

Consequently 2/3 of all TV commercials seem to be political. Most fall into 3 categories: Attack ads on Kay Hagan (Democrat running against Dole), attack ads on Obama and positive, uplifting ads from Obama. Please note that there are plenty of ads attacking McCain & Dole and all sorts of politicians in-between.

It also seems like every office is up for grabs including Governor.

I've been feeling almost guilty about not paying enough attention to the Senate race. I don't like to blindly go into the booth and vote party-line. Sure, I've never done otherwise, but I like to be an "informed" voter. I believe that voting & paying taxes (zing) are my patriotic duty.

Thankfully, two very helpful organizations sent us mail today. One is "Freedom's Watch" who told me that Kay Hagan supports windfall profit taxes on oil companies & that she sides with organizations like the Sierra Club in blocking more off-shore drilling. The other is the "Associated Builders and Contractors Free Enterprise Alliance" who tells me that Dole wants to open more areas offshore & lift the moratorium on oil shale exploration.

Apparently, both organizations think that more oil drilling is good. And that more oil drilling will reduce our dependency on foreign nations. Of course, I think more oil drilling is stupid & that energy diversity will do a much better job. That's just me, a granola-eatin', Sierra Club lovin', Democrat-votin' fool.

Also, I like to read the New York Times! Gasp!

So, thanks to both of these wonderful right-leaning organizations for making me feel better when I go "all in" with the Democrats on Nov 4. Jerks!

Note: In NC, you can't "one stop shop" for a party. You must vote for president & then cast your party ticket. Otherwise, the vote for president won't count.

3 comments:

Avouz said...

Yeah, it's funny sometimes how a political ad, rumor, or whatever can backfire. I keep hearing the "Obama is a Muslim" meme here in WV, but I'm always thinking "Even if it were true, which it isn't, why is that a bad thing?"

(Of course, I know the reason. To the close-minded: Muslim = terrorist.)

Anyway, I've been watching a lot of the election coverage. Not only is NC in play now, but so is WV. New polling indicates we've flipped to Obama also.

Of course, that same new polling also gives Obama well over 300 electoral votes, and puts his lead as such that even if McCain takes all the remaining toss-up states (unlikely) he can't win. Unless Diebold delivers a miracle for McCain, it's all over but the crying.

Anonymous said...

This is the one time I might actually begin to miss not turing on our TV (even if I knew where it is, which after the move is doubtful). Yelling at stupid (and misleading and outright false) statements in the newspaper just doesn't give you quite teh same satisfaction as yelling at the idiot box.

Anonymous said...

Ah....

People engaging in critical thinking about the media they consume.

Brings a tear to my eye.