Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stung

On Tuesday, I took the car to the shop and walked home with the dog. Unfortunately, about a mile from home, I got stung by something on the left hand. I honestly thought it was a wasp, but the whole thing happened so fast, it could have been just about anything from a fire ant to a spi...nothing to see here dear... There was no visible stinger and other than a mark on my hand and a sharp sting I seemed OK. I arrived home without further incident. I got through the rest of the day and aside from a pin-prick of pain forgot about the whole incident. No worries right? Yeah well...

By Wednesday morning the back of my hand was red and itchy. By Wednesday night, the back of my hand was red, itchy and swelling. We applied various bite creams and looked in WebMD for treatment info. By Thursday morning the swelling increased, the itch spread to my wrist and my hand was in pain. Sigh! On Thursday afternoon I saw the Nurse Practitioner at my Doctor's office, who basically told me that since I had survived the first 48 hours, I would probably live. She directed me to ice, elevate and increase my Benadryl dose. She warned me that the spreading might continue a little more but not to panic unless...

So, I spent the evening semi-sedated with my hand elevated & wrapped in ice. Stupid

This may be my last post for a few days since typing is uncomfortable. If you've had a hand or wrist injury, you understand my frustration. I can use my hand if I have to, but it's not comfortable.

Did I mention sigh!

1 comment: