Thursday, October 16, 2008

You Want to Talk About Fear?

I'm watching last night's debate this morning.

I want to take a moment to comment on one of the issues that I never identified as important but has quickly become so in this election cycle: Health Care.

I've looked it over and I'm afraid of McCain's health care plan. In debate, he keeps side-stepping the lost coverage, exclusion from coverage issue. Obama keeps suggesting (as do a number of articles I've read) that people with preexisting conditions will not be covered in the "open market." McCain's dismissal is to suggest that only people with "Gold-Plated" plans that cover insane medical proceedures might have problems. What about people like me?

I have to go to the doctor's office a lot. I have medical tests several times of the year to make sure that my symptoms aren't something else and to make certain that my medications aren't having an adverse affect on me. I regularly feel punished by our insurance company to find approved medication. Because it's so much fun skimming through the "approved medication" list with my doctor every time we want to try something new or every time they come out with a new list.

There's no way I'm getting into an open-market health care plan. There's no way I'm going to save money even with the tax credit if our premiums and deductables keep rising. (Which they are.)

I'm not saying that the Obama plan is the end-all-be-all. It's just scary because the cost of my medications would be unaffordable without health care coverage.

On a side-note: I've spent 2 weeks now on a minimal dose of Lyrica and have been seeing very positive results. So, we're going to the next level. It's very exciting.

No comments: