Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fear the mighty power of dog hair

So, my dog sheds a lot. It's interesting because he doesn't have a lot of dander and thus, I'm not allergic to him like I am to other dogs. Anyway, the house is in a constant state of needing vacuuming. I could vacuum every day and not remove all the hair. So foolishly, I just let it pile up for a while until one day Slick and I realize that the floor isn't fit to walk on and I break out the vacuum.

The vacuum, a Hoover, was bought when we moved here and it wasn't cheap. You know that commercial for those Dyson vacuums where the guy talks about loosing suction, well within a year this one did. I constantly took it to the garage to remove hair from the rollers. And still it was forever clogged with hair. Then --- dun dun dun -- 4-5 months ago it started to smell when I ran it. Shit! So, frustrated that it was overheating because of the clogs I would run it in "spurts." That wasn't helping. So, not only would I run it in spurts, I cut back on the cleaning even more. Now that a dog-hair jungle started to crop up, I realized I had no choice but to crack it open or go to a repair shop. Feeling cheap, I got my tools.

All I can say is, I wish I had done it sooner. The rollers are easily removed. Now, the bad part. One end of one of the four rollers is completely chewed up because of *gasp* dog hair. The hot smell was from the plastic being rubbed off like it was in a grinder. And hair was in the junctions so thick and compact that I, at first, thought I was looking at dirty plastic washers. So, the damage to the brushes is complete, but they are usable and perhaps replaceable. I still marvel at it all. Still, had I known about the ease of removal, (6 screws!) I could have done this every few months!

Anyway, off to do the first test-run and then maybe I can shave my dog! Nair anyone?

1 comment:

christine mtm said...

i sometimes think we have a 4th pet after sweeping up all the pet hair in my house.