Saturday, August 04, 2007

On the Road Again

Well, after less than 2-weeks at home after heading north to my grandmother's funeral, I'm off to the annual family gathering in OBX. "Annual" means that it all started about 6 years ago when my parents & uncle decided that we all lived too far apart and needed to do stuff together. I still remember how Slick and I suggested OBX (having gone there with her family & with my college gang.) "They" (my family) all said it was too far and looked for alternatives for weeks. We've been going every year since.

This week (starting today) is my Christmas. It's the week I look forward to every year. I know this because I couldn't fall asleep until midnight and woke up at 5:30am. The car was packed by 6:30am! (We don't leave until 8:30am) Given our vacation schedule, this is it unless they come to visit us (HINT!!) My father constantly says things like "when are you coming up?" And it causes my frustration to no end. He's really saying, "I miss you," but it really only serves to remind me about the miles between us.

But still, this really works. Having 3 pastors in the family, I hate trying to visit them for Christmas. That never works. It's always hours of travel punctuated by hours of sitting around waiting for them to finish writing sermons or lead multiple worship services (none of which are ever at the same time!) Often we use this week to hand out little presents to the family. There's always an excuse...birthdays...arbor day...but really it's just Christmas!

This year I did a stupid STUPID thing. My mother always asks me to bring supplies and that usually means a Costco run. I usually try to weasel my way out, but this year I took a different approach. I bought everything! This is dumb because it requires two coolers. That wouldn't be so bad, but we've also be wrangled into picking up my God-mother at the airport (mid-way.) So, the escape is packed to the roof. There should be enough room for her and her stuff in the back seat...I hope. My father suggested strapping her to the roof. Since, I don't have WWI-era fighter-pilot goggles to give her, we'll have to make do!

Next year, I buy the beer, wine, soymilk & that's it! Mmmm...beer!

No comments: