Thursday, August 30, 2007

Great Geek Gathering

I wanted to take a few moments and talk about my weekend plans. Several years ago, the great and powerful Avouz* decided that all us geeks that he's "acquired" should join together and relish in our geekiness. This event is aptly named the Great Geek Gathering** or G3 for short.

So what, might you ask, does G3 entail? Glad you asked...

Firstly, gather a bunch of geeks who have been friends for a long while but more than likely now live hundreds of miles apart....wait, you want a definition?

Geek as defined by Wikipedia is "an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity" who also likes all sorts of gaming, RPGs, comic books...all the good stuff that makes life worth living outside of sports and women...But I digress...

As I was saying...Avouz gathers us into a home for a long weekend. We pretend that we're still in our early 20's. We stay up late. We consume caffeine. A Halo tournament or two has been known to break out. Often a "one shot" RPG (Role Playing Game) is enjoyed. Some of us partake in some random collectible strategy game. Alcohol is consumed! Moments of RPG Nostalgia break out for all the usual reasons. And before the weekend is over, someone usually breaks Avouz.***

This year's event involves the largest number of wives/girlfriends in the history of G3. I believe we'll have 4. This year also marks the first time that some of us are opting for hotel rooms. (Look, I'm too old to pass out on someone's living room floor.) This year, we also have a pool. This frightens me. I'm not sure how much sun geeks are allowed to have. It can't be much.

Anyway, the difficult thing is that most of us play WoW. I'm not sure how we expect to survive in a house for an entire weekend when 70% of the guests are going through WoW withdrawal, but I'm sure it'll make for a good story.

Have a wonderful labor day everyone. If I don't make it back alive, someone go get my dog out of "doggy camp" and take him home!

* Avouz - Screen name of my buddy's most infamous D&D character. So infamous that I've never actually played with (or against) this character, yet can rattle off several of his exploits like I had actually been there.

** There is some discussion if it's Gathering or Get Together. I personally think it must be gathering since Get Together would make it G3T...but I digress.

***The breaking of Avouz is a simple but time-honored tradition. It involves copious amounts of Bacardi & Coke. Once enough is consumed, the goal is to make Avouz laugh so hard that he snarfs and possibly pukes. The puking is unfortunate, but the snarfing is priceless.

No comments: