Monday, July 23, 2007

Reflections on my 1.5 Weeks North

Here are reflections, observations, remembrances from my trip to the Keystone State and New England...in no particular order...

- Some Starbucks close before 10:30pm. Imagine my shock and frustration to learn this at 10:40pm while on i81N in VA.

- Even if you missed the sign, you can still tell when you've crossed over into Pennsylvania. Damn roads still suck.

- Eastern PA is still the best place in the world to play the Alphabet game. Thank you Amish Quilts!

- There are few things more frustrating than needing a "J" while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Kutztown with the words Left, McDonalds, Next, Open, & Pork all in visual range.

- The "road to nowhere" actually goes somewhere now! This is the highway in Reading, PA that just stopped in the middle of nowhere for the longest time.

- Sheetz kicks ass and takes names, but WaWa is like an old friend.

- Driving through PA is like driving from construction zone to construction zone. I had forgotten this.

- When approaching a lane merge in heavy traffic, Pennsylvanians still "encourage" one another to fall-in-line. They do so with military precision and upto a mile before the merge.

- Driving through your old college-town on the way to bear witness to death with only 4 hours of sleep is an "interesting" experience.

- The Charlotte, NC region has done an incredible job cutting back on smoking areas. I know this because of the shock I felt in PA & CT at the size and prominence of smoking areas.

- They make Turkey Scrapple. I'm not sure what's in it, which disturbs me.

- The best wine/liquor store I've ever seen is right down the street from my parents. This stands in stark contrast to the crap-selections available throughout PA.

- People who've never shopped at Costco have no idea about their insane consumer electronics department.

- Some friendships are renewed the moment you see the other person.

- My 8 year old niece may be the smartest member of the family. Be afraid! Be very afraid!

- I must learn to make Ratatouille.

- If you like scifi audiobooks, look online for "The Secret World Chronicles." It's free and simply awesome! It's also long enough to listen to for 14 hours straight!

- Never drink Full Throttle energy drink. I don't care how late it is or how tired you are. Don't do it. You've been warned!

- Never eat a Sausage, Egg and Cheese McGriddles. I don't care if it's 10AM and you've been on the road since 6AM! Don't do it! Go find some fruit!

- If you need coffee:
In the Philly suburbs: drive on any major road for 1 mile to find Starbucks.
In New England: drive on any road for 0.5 and find 3 Dunkin Donuts.
In VA: It's old, stale gas station coffee for you!

- There are some really stupid people in the world and I'm apparently related to a few of them. Yes, there are some good stories here and no I'm not going to share them.

- 100.5 years is a good run.

- Home is where the heart lies. Mine currently resides in North Carolina. :-D

No comments: