Sunday, July 01, 2007

We is All Stupid

As you are probably aware, the city of New York is banning trans-fat oils from restaurants. Let me link just one of the many articles about this story. I'm all in favor of everyone cooking with Olive or Canola oil. But have you stopped for a moment and looked at the focus for a moment? Let me key you in on some of the buzz-words from these articles: French Fries, Donuts, Deep Fryers...

Has anyone stopped to ask how much trans fat is required to build up "bad cholesterol" and clog arteries? If I'm eating enough French fries, donuts and generally deep fried foods to blame my problems on trans fats, am I not already overwhelming my body with high concentrations of bad calories? Sure, I've cut back on the "bad" stuff, but I'm still obese and a candidate for adult onset diabetes.

Yes, the banning of trans fats will also help in nutritional values of meals that don't include deep fryers, but the articles I've read still suggest that we are all focused on the symptoms and not the real cure. Instead of changing our bad behavior, we simply make changes to the process and pretend we're improving things.

Man, I could go for some French fries right now...

No comments: