Saturday, July 28, 2007

Why the Michael Vick Saga Should Bother Us...no matter what

I want to take this moment to offer a warm hug to my friends who are VT grads & to dog lovers everywhere. Michael Vick is a bad man.

How involved was Vick? Does that matter? Well, yeah. If I lend my friend my car and they go run people down, is it my fault? No. What if I knew my friend was on drugs, feeling homicidal or simply had their license suspended? Now, we're getting somewhere.

If Vick knew even a sliver about the dog-fighting, even if it was only a hunch, then he's deserves everything that's coming: suspension, infamy, lost endorsement contracts and potential criminal charges.

There is a difference between abandoning friends and allowing them to destroy your life. Vick's freedom and livelihood are in jeopardy either because of an utter lack of good judgment or because he himself is an evil bastard. Either way, he's a failure. Either way, all the wanna-be AI's and Vicks out there should pay attention. Success in life means taking personal responsibility. It also means holding your friends accountable for their actions. Men like Vick's co-defendants aren't anyone's friends. And Vick, by his actions or in-action is no longer a friend to the city of Atlanta or the NFL or to animal lovers everywhere.

Vick should be ashamed. All of Atlanta is ashamed. You know that the NFL is ashamed. So much for friendship.

PS. Emmit Smith gets my vote for moron of the year award.

No comments: