Monday, September 24, 2007

The Joy of Reading

Growing up as a kid, Cats (my big sister) was smarter, cooler and better than me at everything. She was a cool kid at school. She beat up bullies for me. And more than anything else I can say about her, she loved to read.

While on family vacation this summer, I learned that Princess Kitty (my neice) doesn't like to read. *Gasp* Not my sister's kid! Cats and I talked. With everything that's happened the last few years with the Silent Prince (my nephew,) the lead poisoning, the lead cleanup at the parsonage and all the moving, Kitty had 2 very unstable years of school. Now going into 3rd grade, Kitty doesn't feel very smart. She needed a boost. Cats was willing to put in the time to read with her, but was having problems with motivating little miss stubborn.

So one afternoon, Kitty, Slick and I went out for pizza. While we were eating I nudged the conversation to reading. I told them that I wanted to go to the book store after we ate. Slick and I talked about all the books we wanted to read. We talked about how much we love to read. We then went to the bookstore. Slick & I conned Kitty into checking out the 3rd grader chapter books. Thankfully, one was about a Fairy with Kitty's name. She felt this book might be acceptable, especially if I also got her the big picture book about Princesses too. -- Can you say, "Sucker?" That's me! -- Done deal.

When we got back to the house, Kitty showed everyone the Princess book while I quietly handed the chapter book to my sister. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Except, this time I won! Kitty's school requires her to read a certain number of books. So, Cats -- being smarter than me -- used the fairy book. It's such a big, multi-chapter book, that it counts for 3 books! YES!

So, tonight, they called on speaker phone. Kitty was so loud and happy, it took me a moment to understand. They are in the last chapter. And get this, I'm in the book! No, really! Apparently I'm a bird and I'm there to help save the day. And apparently, I guess I did because now Kitty wants more fairy books!

Wow, that really makes my day! Even gets me a bit misty-eyed. But then Slick says I'm a complete softy. Seriously, this kinda news gives you the kind of happy feeling you save for when you're feeling really low. Then you remember it and it'll pop you right up outta that hole!

Well, I guess this is why God made Uncles & Nieces (and a really smart big sister/mommy.) Anyway, enough chit-chat. Amazon.com, here I come! I've got Fairy books to buy!

1 comment:

christine mtm said...

she still has trouble reading, but i can already see it changing. she's figuring out how to sound out words and isn't jus giving up. it's been thrilling and i can't wait to read the last chapter with her tonight!