Thursday, September 20, 2007

Progress Report

In just a few weeks, it'll be 6-months since I left my job. Goals were set, lessons were learned, I pushed, succeeded, failed, changed goals...it's been a good process.

Exercise: When I first started the exercise routine I understood that it would be a lot harder than previous attempts. Previously, getting back into an exercise routine was easy. I went to the gym, hopped on my bike or started jogging. This time, I had to contend with a number of factors. The fibro slows me down and makes post exercise recovery difficult. I set a seemingly modest set of goals and quickly found they were unrealistically difficult given my condition and my weight gain. In April and May, building up to 20 minutes of slow methodical walking was difficult. By now I expected to be working on tone and focusing on resistance training. Still, improvements have happened. I'm walking 2 miles a day in under 40 minutes. I'm able to extend that to 3-4 miles 1-2 times a week. And, exercise is no longer my only strenuous activity in the day. I'm pleased, but I'm also not content. I'm constantly looking to do more, but cautious of previous lessons.
Goal: 3-4 miles a day + light resistance training by Jan 1.

Nutrition: This has been the best success. Slick and I are still sticking with our nutrition plan. We've learned where and when to "cheat." We've learned the effects of such indulgences. I've worked really hard at the Fibromyalgia Diet I mentioned in a previous blog. I've cut out or significantly reduced everything on the list except coffee. I'm still drinking 2-3 cups a day.
Goal: Cut down on coffee.

Weight Loss: I've hinted around this a few times, but here it is for the record.
April 2: 225lbs, 39" waist
Sept 20: 188lbs, 35" waist
Goal: 175lbs, 33" waist

Sleep: Ah the curse of a Fibromyalgic. Recently, I've been able to sleep without the use of the lunesta. I don't know how long that will last. The secret has been 2-part. 1) Deep-meditative relaxation before bed. 2) Set sleep schedule. Both are painfully hard to stick with. Some nights I'll be up late playing WoW and realize that it's bed-time. I can't just hop into bed. I need 30-40 minutes to relax...no tv, no computer...just me and the iPod. The trick has been to set my alarm clock and get up. Period. Every day, I'm up at 8:30. I also try to avoid naps.
Goal: Continue routine

Simplify: It's hard to quantify this one. We have dramatically cut costs, cut our use of resources and cut a lot of waste from our lives. In August, our electric bill was $20 less than last year. This was in spite of the facts that I was at home for most of the month, that August was hotter than last year, AND that the per-unit cost of our electric was higher than last year. So yes, we're doing more with less!
Goal: Start a herb & veggie garden and install a rain-water barrel.

Life Balance: This is an even harder one to quantify. I'm doing really well with "stress management." I've been reading, praying & thinking on this one. I need to be more active at church. I really should get out of the house more. I'm still thinking about a part-time job. Basically, there's too many things going on in this category to sum up.
Goal: Get back involved in church.

No comments: