Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Wailin' Jennys

I know it's not November yet, but Slick and I are really excited about our anniversary plans. The Wailin' Jennys are coming to town in November. We already got the tickets. The venue is a small concert hall. Which is awesome. And the tickets were really affordable. Which is even more awesome!

Who are the Wailin' Jennys? They are a trio of women from mid-west Canada. They are best described as a blend of country, Celtic & folk harmony. Some of their stuff hearkens to the sounds of Appalachia. I first heard them two years ago when they were guests on A Prairie Home Companion.

Yes, I know, I know...I'm a folk-music lovin', left-wing, NPR-listening, crunchy-granola nut-job. You know what my man Polonius told Hamlet, "To thine own self be true!" But I digress...

Anyway, I admittedly love the sound of quality female harmony and they fit the bill. I'm not going to compare them to the Indigo Girls, BUT...if you like them, you'll like the Wailin' Jennys. The trouble now is that I have about 5 of their songs from iTunes and I'm trying to decide if we should pick up a whole album or two.

If you want to try the Wailin' Jennys, but don't want to buy whole albums, I recommend the following songs to get you started: One Voice, The Parting Glass or Long Time Traveler.

Note: While writing this message, I opened iTunes to listen to them. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention. It's an odd thing when a song like Long Time Traveler transitions into Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. Very odd. And yes, I know that my taste in music is rather eclectic....and... Ack! How did this mix happen and why do I have Love Song by Sara Bareilles?!? Make it stop! ;-)

No comments: