Thursday, September 06, 2007

WoW Insanity Follow-up

Well, the day was a roller-coaster. Ill words were exchanged by some, but for the most part I avoided direct confrontation. Originally, I was going to wait a few days to apply to another guild...

Yes I said apply! In order to join a raiding guild, you must fill out an application, have an interview, have your equipment reviewed, and usually do a test-run with members of the guild leadership. This is "serious" fun.

Anyway, I went ahead and applied with the guild that Cainam has been pushing. He's got friends there. They've got an active presence on our server. Their website is maintained nicely. It seems like a good choice. I was nervous because they listed themselves as "closed" to hunter applications. But, word had gotten to me that I should apply anyway.

Applying as a hunter (that's my class) to a raiding guild is a nervous time. Hunter is the "class" that every random person who gets the game for Christmas ends up playing. It's easy-mode to play, but hard to master. A lot of really bad hunters hit level 70 and think they can raid only to discover that no guild wants them. Thankfully, I don't fall into the suck-o category. I'm not saying I'm a master, but I was selected class-rep in my old guild. I'm good at it.

Additionally, hunters are a unique category of DPS (damage per second) that often under-performs other classes. They make up for it in other ways, but those other skills are less and less important in the end game. So, not only am I cursed with the noob-class, but I'm also in a class that's considered inferior for end-game content. Most raiding guilds keep their list of active hunters low...but I digress...

Let me just say that they really liked me. I answered all the right questions. Apparently, recent applicants couldn't even define shot rotation. Shot rotation is the timed sequence of buttons a hunter should hit to maximize his/her effectiveness. It's all about DPS and sustainability. Well, 30 seconds into my analysis of my particular rotation and my reason for it, I had the job.

And yes, I said analysis. I've run data-gathering programs in test conditions to compare shot selections.

In fact the only knock against me was that I've not finished my new Armor. Making equipment is another essential element to the game. It requires hours of materials gathering. It would have been nice to be further along with it. BUT, it was also the moment in the interview that I was sold on them. Several tips were provided on the subject and offers of help were given. They're going to help me! They have the people and resources to help me become a better player.

I'm home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that.