Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Argh! Could all this be the &^%$@ Fibromyalgia?

I'm going to rant and I'm not really giving a crap about elements of style or narrative. I'm just ranting!

It started last week. Something wrong with my digestive system. Since irritable bowl syndrome is a major problem for fybromyalgics, I probably waited longer than I should to seek medical support. By the time I saw the doctor I got put on a liquid diet and was sent for tests to make sure I don't have diverticulitis. Don't worry, I don't! The antibiotics and pain killers seem to be helping. I've even been granted access to some solid foods like bananas.

I found an article online (completely random) today called Fibromyalgia and the Pain Barrier. I followed a link on Digg to the site and then saw a Fibro link. Anyway, check out this excerpt:

"The next time, two years later, Jemma was crumpled with stomachache. Her appendix—which turned out to be just like any other appendix: evolutionarily redundant but not inflamed—was removed. And Jemma’s ache stubbornly stayed for another year and half."

And interestingly enough, all day today the area at my appendix has been hurting more than the other areas. Yes, I will tell my doctor on my follow-up visit on Friday. Could all this be the fucking fibromyalgia? And did I mention that the nurse didn't even know that irritable bowl syndrome was a symptom of fibro? I guess I'm glad that the general public got a clue about the pain and fatigue. I guess I'm also glad that my doctor knows these things.

Of course the article, like MOST articles about Fibromyalgia is on a "women's" site and talks about women with fibro. Most articles that deal with men only seem to make passing comments about the low number of men with the condition. *SIGH* Yes, it's great being a guy with a "woman" problem.

Wait, I'll go somewhere with this...

I did find a website, men with fibro (A crappy looking, poorly designed site) that was done by a guy with Fibro. I feel bad for knocking him, but man that site needs a make-over. Still, I liked what he wrote on his What's It Like? page. He at least totally gets it. He said, "Well, it is like Samson, when Delilah cut off his hair." And it's true. Sometimes, I feel castrated. I'm not the same man I was before this started. I'm the 50's house-wife with-out the kids. Sure, my health is improving! Sure, who knows what I'll be like in a year if I keep this up! Sure,...and sometimes that feels like a load of fucking crap. I'm a man! Maybe I'm a "modern, sensitive-type," but deep down I'm also "Tarzan to her Jane" man, dammit! Except right now when I'm wasting away, moving from couch to chair to bed to couch!

Deep breath! AND...exhale!...Well, I feel better. You?

Good things did come out of my rambling web searches tonight. I found this great link with a list of fibromyalgia symptoms that had details that I've not seen before, but really make me feel better. Specifically, this (see below) started this winter and has been driving me completely nuts. I knew it was the fibro, but man has it been getting to me trying to adjust to it.

Temperature Sensitivity
:
Persons with fibromyalgia tend to be highly sensitive to ambient temperature. Some often feel abnormally cold (compared to others around them) while others feel abnormally warm. An unusual sensitivity to cold in the hands and/or feet, accompanied by color changes in the skin, sometimes occurs in persons with fibromyalgia. This condition is known as "Raynaud's Phenomenon".

Any temperature below 70-deg and I have to be fully clothed. I've started wearing double-layers of socks from REI. (One layer of thin nylon blended socks and a top layer of wool.) My collection of long-sleeved t-shirts has doubled. I carry ultra-light weight gloves with me and catch myself wearing them in temperatures below 60-deg. The kicker is that the second the weather goes over 75-deg and I'm back to my old self. I'm warm and I'm comfortable in shorts. Still, seeing it documented makes me feel better.

It should also be noted that I've read the entire list and have them all to some degree or another (well except the sleep apnea and the "female" problems.) The paresthesia is annoying since I type on the computer a lot, but it's the only symptom I can always block out.

I'm learning how to compensate for the "general" fibro-fog. I take lots of notes. I keep my routine rather simple. I never cook from recipes anymore. I park in the same sections at the mall or store. It's annoying, but I manage.

Anyway, if you want to know a little more about what it's like to be me or any Fibro sufferer, I encourage you to look at the list.

Sorry for the rambling, but that's one of the reasons I started blogging. Sometimes I just need to vent about this.

No comments: