Friday, March 28, 2008

The Duhks

The Duhks

I caught a bit of a PBS special the other week about a Bluegrass festival. During the interviews a lot of the participants were asked about the other bands and which they enjoyed. The Duhks came up several times. I'm a huge fan of folk music and love bands that use "traditional" sounds from all over. I tend to not like when the sound gets too country or too glossy-pop. The Dukhs totally keep the sounds folksy and I love their style.

This excerpt from their bio page is spot on:

"...Duhks-alone blend of soul, gospel, North American folk, Brazilian samba, old time country string band, zydeco, and Irish dance music, and the attack they bring to these interwoven acoustic styles—which might as well be called sheer rock and roll."

It's like someone took all my favorite musical styles and all of Slick's favorite musical styles, tossed in some samba and made a band.

They came up on my "Wailin' Jennys" Pandora rotation the other day. I liked the song so much I clicked the iTunes link and got a copy. (Christmas iTunes money FTW!) Luck would be with me for once because I also found a copy of "Your Daughters & Your Sons" in the CD collection at my regional library. Slick fell in love with them instantly and has taken the CD from me...Typical!

Not that I didn't download the music to my iPod already...no, I would never do that!

Apparently, they are regulars at MerleFest. It's not far from here. Someday, I'll be healthy this time of year. I know Slick would love to go. I've already noticed that Ollabelle will be there this year and Slick really likes them. It's so tempting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want a professionally recorded, mixed, and mastered live recording without the cost of a CD, check out

http://greenduhks.com/index.php?page=shop

They are doing a post Earth Day benefit at the end of this month.

Chesno Slova said...

I saw the same PBS special and got turned on to two great bands. The Duhks is one, but even better to me are The Waybacks. They were on that special and amazing. I have four CDs of each band now. You can download them from Amazon in mp3 format for only 8.99$ each. Great deal.