Monday, January 28, 2008

Readership...ACK!

I've been writing in this blog steadily for several months now. I like it. I've got a small following of mostly friends and family. I have some other "regulars" too. I also get occasional cross-traffic from my sister's blog. Beyond that, almost all my extended traffic comes from people doing Google searches that hit on my wide variety of topics. That's about it. I expect roughly 20-30 regulars who check my site 4-5 times a week and another 10-30 hits from searches. I occasionally hit on a topic that gives me 100+ views, but that's only when I comment on "in the news" stuff.

In other words, it's small, it's personal and it's everything I want it to be.

On the other hand, I've had my World of Warcraft blog, Beroth the Hunter up for a few weeks now. I finally got around to adding a site meter to it over the weekend and boom. Today alone, I got this site's weekly average in views. Most of my traffic appears to be coming from a fellow player's blog and from other players Googling my tips. From the comments and a dozen or so emails, people like what I'm doing. Last night I even posted my first response to an actual reader question.

This makes me glad that I took NothingKnew's advice to not put a link for this blog on that one. I'm not ready for that.

So, what now? Well, the first thing is to not over-react. It's really not a lot of traffic compared to the traffic at other WoW Blogs. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I suppose, however, that if it continues to go well, I'll consider NothingKnew's other suggestion and post some simple ads just for fun. Eh, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I'm just having fun! If I can write stuff that people want to read (and not just because they are family & friends) then I'm moving in the right direction with this whole writing thing.

TTFN!

1 comment:

Nothing Knew said...

So you gonna go all in and put an Google ad on the site? I have no idea if that is kosher within the WoW Blog circles but it is kind of fun.

Of course, my other blog has a couple and I've made less than $75 in 11 months. That covers my expenses for domain registration but not the time.

BTW, that's a blog getting 400 unique visitors a day. Now if I could just figure out how to incorporate WoW tips into the site...

Congrats!