Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stupid, Moronic, Dumbass...

I was writing a post on Beroth the Hunter and was discussing having multiple goals. I decided to use the plural of the word focus. What's the plural of focus? Don't ask blogger! For your amusement, I'm reprinting the rant that I put at the bottom of that post.

Foci is the plural of Focus. Stupid blogger doesn't know that. It wants me to use "focuses." I acknowledge that somewhere along the line general stupidity won over and made focuses acceptable. I don't have to like it, but I accept it. Still, for the spell check to not recognize foci...Arrrgghhh!!

Now, I can go back and point out the numerous grammatical corners I regularly cut in this and other blogs. I think it's part of the nature of blogging. Sometimes, I purposefully cheat to maintain a conversational tone. I admit to an insufficient level of editing. I often catch really ugly mistakes days or weeks later. That's all part of blogging.

All that said, it still bothers me that the English language is becoming such a wasteland of inarticulate, dumb-speak.

Note: Slick and I have family working for Google. He's got a journalism degree and as written for actual newspapers. In other words, he's a professional wordsmith. I'm going to email him and give him shit.

1 comment:

BostonPobble said...

My editors wanted me to tell kids studying for the SAT that the plural of "appendix" was "appendixes." I refused. In other words, I understand.