Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Fasnacht!

So, it's nearly Lent. As folks know, Slick and I have worked really hard to change all our eating habits. We lowered our "empty" carb intake and switched to eating whole grains, vegetables, healthy portions, the works...

So, I couldn't understand why I've been craving donuts for a week now. Then I got an email from my friend Avouz (yes, not his real name) who mentioned that he wouldn't be online on Tuesday because he's got a Shrove Tuesday dinner. My brain did a double-take I nearly shouted Fasnachts out loud!

Fasnachts are fancy donuts. They are often imitated by folks in Maryland, but real fasnachts are made in PA-Dutch country!

Yes, I'm a Philly Boy, but my mom's family is Pennsylvania Dutch.* I love PA Dutch cooking and none of it could ever be mistaken for whole grain and portion control food. I mean, lets face it, most of the "good" meals start with a tub of lard!

Anyway, I've concluded that I must make pancakes for dinner tonight. We've got that "HeartSmart Bisquick" in the pantry. (I try not to snicker too much when I read the label.)

*Note: There's a certain amount of irony to be shared. I'm 50% PA-Dutch (Mom's family) and grew up in Philly. Other than the food, the German I took in college, my need to be 15 minutes early for EVERYTHING and my late Grandmother, there's very little PA-Dutch about me. On the other hand, my wife is descended from Irish & English farmers or something like that, but she grew up in Lancaster Co so her whole childhood was a PA-Dutch Wonderland. (Sorry couldn't resist!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Silly boy... if you had only consulted your hebrew calendar you would know these things. (Though because of the jewish leap year, Passover is about a month after Easter this year.)