Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Dog on Drugs

My dog has his annual checkup today. He's a complete spaz at the vet. His file has a warning stamp on it. Thus, we have to give him drugs before we go. Well, it's been 15 minutes and he's already acting loopy. That coupled with the 3.5 mile walk we went on this morning should calm him down a bit. I'm not looking forward to tonight when he can't walk up and down the stairs on his own.

Wish us luck!

UPDATE:

We survived! The medication might make him tired and drunk, but it also gives him a bit of anxiety. Still, he sat (with constant reminders that he was "OK" in my stupid PBS children's program voice) and waited for 5 whole minutes to go back for the exam. Then he stood on the bench next to me while I did the preliminary "how's he doing" checklist w/ the vet-tech. Some interesting things happened when they took him back for his blood-work & kennel cough meds. Not that I blame him. If I had a nose the size of a jumbo-jet, I would be offended by someone shooting stuff up my nostrils too. But he lived and nobody got bitten...not for lack of trying. I had to show them his teeth, but that's par for the course too. He sat like a good dog and waited while I paid, then drug me to the car with all his might when I said it was time to go. But, my arm is still attached, so it was clearly a good visit! Actually, it may have been the best vet visit we've ever had. He's having trouble with stairs and keeps climbing under my desk, but it'll all wear off by tomorrow.

No comments: