Thursday, May 01, 2008

Grocery Day Reflection

Yes, I know that this could be the most mundane and perhaps lamest topic I've ever pontificated on. That's why I'm just going to focus on the most useful observation.

When I'm shopping, I watch for the "member-savings" label. At Harris Teeter it's the "VIC" card. For a long while, I would always get the full amount of items for the savings. This, I've learned, isn't always the case. If the labels says something like "2/$3," then I can get one for $1.50. If the label says, "buy one get one free" then I must buy two. Why? It's how the register works. The "2/$x" items ring up the savings immediately per item. The other waits until all my items are checked out. Obviously, the grocery chain wants us to spend more money AND help clear inventory (especially fresh produce.) I say, screw that. If I only need one block of cheddar cheese and it lets me save $0.50, then I'm getting one block of cheese.

Sure, by not getting 2 (or more) I may not get the discount next week. That's also the thinking that helps drive my bill up & makes me waste food. There's always something with the savings label. This week it's the cheddar and next it'll be the jack.

Anyway, if you're in one of those card programs, look carefully. You may be able to cut a few bucks off your weekly bill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my local grocery store it doesn't seem to matter what the sticker says... they do pricing by the "piece" so I can buy as many or as few of something as I need. Good to know.

Nothing Knew said...

Not sure I understand....
1. 2/$3 you can buy 1 and get it for $1.50.

2. Buy One, Get One (bogo) means an item costs $3 and you get two of them for that price.

Why do you think this means you are buying two items? You are only buying a single item and they are adding on another one. Why they do this I am not sure (although I imagine a google search could uncover the answer).

The only way that you are buying two items in a bogo situation is if they jacked up the price to double the original and then said "and we'll give you another for free". Normally I find that you are getting two item for 10-25% off the original price of those two items.

But that's my recall on it. I don't have hard numbers to back that up.

LRNs said...

1) Normal price will be listed as $1.75/each. But, the VIC price will say 2/$3. The tag is designed to make you think you must buy 2 in order to get the unit-price discount. But, the register rings up the discount no matter how many you buy.

2) I see this in the meat isle a lot whenever they are trying to get meat to sell. So, they'll have London Broil at 2 for 1. If you had gone the day before it would have been 1 for 1.