Thursday, May 01, 2008

Vote? Only Because You Called To Remind Me, Again...

Since the middle of last week, I've been getting a bunch of calls from the Clinton campaign. The good news is that the nice women (all women thus far) have quickly thanked me for my time when I tell them I'm voting Obama.

This hands-off tactic kind of confuses me though. What's the point of the call? I assume they are calling because we are registered. Why would I bother registering, if I wasn't going to vote? Are there really a lot of registered Democrats out there going Meh, I'll just wait for November? After everything, are there still a lot of undecideds? So, why call if they aren't going to "sell" me on Clinton.

I had half a mind to take one out of NothingKnew's play-book and lead the last woman on a bit. Would she have talked much longer if I had said I was undecided or leaning toward Clinton?

I'm really glad they keep calling so I don't forget to vote Tuesday. Had nobody called, there might have been a slim, snowball's chance in hell I would have forgotten. Yup, thanks to the Clinton campaign, I'll remember to cast my Obama vote! Poor bastards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we voted last week... My notable call from the Clinton campaign went something like this:
"Hi I'm calling on behalf of Hillary Clinton. I'd like to ask who you're voting for?"
"Barak Obama"
"Well... I respect that... but do you really think he has the experience to do the job on day one?"
"Yes, actually, I do"
"Well... I respect that. [in a tone that cleary thought I was very, very wrong] Thanks for your time"
On election day I got two calls from the Obama campaing telling me where my polling place was; and countless Obama robo-calls reminding me to vote. The Clinton campaign was mysteriously quiet.

Nothing Knew said...

I stopped documenting the calls on the last couple days...they kept coming fast and furious.

Of course, we bought lawn signs and bumperstickers for the cars. So Obama's campaign knew who we were voting for...making sure we got out to vote (and didn't just forget...or not care to) was important to them.

Yes, Lrns there are people who just don't care to vote...I can't understand it myself but there are plenty of people who can't understand the interest in ice hockey in north carolina. So it takes all kinds.

Have fun voting....tell us all about the experience.