Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Final Countdown!

Worst song ever!

But I digress...


On Wednesday, Avouz & I met up at the "Wagon Wheel" Park City, window-shopped, ate dinner then drove into scenic Lititz. No really! There's a movie theater on Airport Rd now. It's actually got stadium seating & DLP screens. It might be the nicest theater I've ever been in. It was just a surreal experience. If you drive up 501 from Lancaster and turn onto Airport road, you get the feeling like you're going to a movie theater in the middle of nowhere. You've got the airport, some warehouses, a field and then in the middle of "nothing" a movie theater. Anyway, Go Speed Racer, Go!

I picked up Avouz as planned on Thursday @ noon. We did the tux fittings, dealt with the first of the mistakes and delays then we shuffled on off to Arundel Mills.

As with any of these group events, there were "hickups." Thankfully, I'm happy to report that Avouz and I only made "wrong-lane followed by U-turn" mistakes. We weren't the ones who went to the wrong mall or didn't hit the road until after the proposed meeting time. Meh, shit happens. Nobody died, got arrested or arrived so late that they missed the fun.

DuClaws Brewery was great. The "samplers" came with twice the beer I expected. My understanding friends helped me drink them. Had I known ahead of time, I would have preferred to simply get a glass of the Naked Fish. This was an amazingly smooth porter with a surprisingly fruity aroma & taste. It provided everything I want in a good, I just want one, beverage.

DuClaws' website actually provided the most headache for the group. Remember the wrong mall comment? Well, two of our party followed the google-maps link and got directions to one of their other locations. Still, in the grand scheme of things, this not-so-little mistake provided the most laughs of the night.

I will never forget watching the groom wandering the mall (we could all see him from our window seats at the restaurant) wearing his Virginia Tech garter proudly on his sleeve as he searched for his missing future bro-in-law. I thought I was going to fall out of my chair when this "older" woman stopped dead in her tracks and just stared at him. The other laughs were all directed at poor Cainam. Since this is nothing new for our group, I'll move on.

To maintain the air of mystery, I'll refrain from sharing the rest of our bachelor party story. Just know that it was at Dave & Busters. I mean, how much trouble can we really get into there?

Friday by 1PM, I was dead on my feet. By 3ish, Allen recognized that I wasn't moving very fast. My body was shutting down and I was really starting to wonder how I would get through the rest of the day. The good news is that the Best Man showed up and took over. They got me an iced tea and some fries (really fresh-cut fries) from one of those fancy burger joints (name escapes me.) This gave me just enough energy to survive the rehearsal and get to the Irish pub for dinner. I'm not sure how I had the energy to get "home" to my in-laws. flyDad is the man and took care of a bunch of stuff for me so I could just collapse. And the Queen showed up from her party just in time to sew a button on the monkey suit for me. I'm definitely going to be in pain today, but it was worth it. Besides, I just have to block it out until tonight. Tomorrow, I can be a complete zombie if need. Slick will be here to take care of me!

OK, I'd write more, but it's nearly time for me to get cleaned up and put on the monkey suit. Pictures are at noon and I've got a bit of a drive to get there. It's a thankfully cool morning.

Oh wait, I've got to tell you about the gifts! We got replicas of Anduril, the sword of Aragon from Lord of the Rings. I'll try to take a picture this week.

More later...

No comments: