Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Who Knew Civic Duty Could Be Romantic

It was a beautiful day today. I mean, we're talking a "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" kind of day. So this evening Slick and I walked the mile or so to our local fire station and cast our Obama votes.

The fire station wasn't very crowded when we arrived. The woman at the door suggested that we got lucky, but I could have sworn the scanner showed 314 when I slid my ballot inside. Either it resets every now and then or we had disappointing turn-out. Granted, Union County, NC is a lot like Lancaster Co, PA. The local politics are 99% Republican. We live in the region's "liberal" artsy town and Slick surmises that there may be a lot of liberals registered Republican around here so they can have a say. Already having their presidential nominee, local republicans may have stayed home. (Only Democrats & Independents can vote in the Democratic primary in NC.)

Our votes cast, we crossed the "historic" wooden bridge that spans the freight tracks and headed over to the Bridge & Rail Restaurant (local greasy spoon) for some Eastern Carolina BBQ and slaw. Of course, Slick doesn't like slaw. So, when my BBQ platter arrived w/ the slaw on the side & her BBQ sandwich came with it inside, naturally we traded.

I've come to realize that this is my real function in marriage. I'm the knight errant. I trade meals with her because I'll eat just about anything. We go out places and I bring a jacket even though I don't need one. I'll walk through spiderwebs because there's no way she's going through the door until the web is destroyed and no spider can come w/in a thousand leagues of her. I walk out and stop traffic because our town supposedly has pedestrian right of way. To put it another way, I'm clearly the expendable one. But I digress...

It was a wonderful evening. We wandered home slowly babbling about silly, inane stuff. We did our usual best to crack each other up and succeeded. It's evenings like tonight when I reminded just how lucky I am, just how silly my wife is and just how much I'm still very much in love with her. Besides, I always get extra slaw when we're together.

P.S. Yes We Can! w00t!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww!