Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Extraneous Star Wars Coming

Just like every geek born during the Nixon Era, I am a child of Star Wars. Many of you have heard or read my story about seeing the original "A New Hope" from my father's lap. I was 4-1/2. Talk about early life-shaping moments. iDad shakes his head in amused shame every time I mention this.

Let's face it, the prequel movies were mostly a disappointment. Still, I have embraced elements of those movies to the point where I will watch them when I get into my annual Star Wars marathon mood. Who can't love the light saber duel from Ep 1, or Yoda kicking ass in Ep 2?

Still, the true saving grace for the prequels has always been the Cartoon Network's Clone Wars series. This series of short animated episodes took place between Clones & Revenge. It marvelously tied the two together. It was so good that it made me love Revenge. Hell, it probably saved the entire prequel series for me. No discussion of or viewing of the Star Wars saga is complete without these, dare I say, pivotal cartoons.

When I watch the series, including prequels & cartoons, I feel a sense of completion. I know closure and flawed fulfillment of a childhood fantasy. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me. I am ready for more.

Enter George Lucas...

Lucas' obsessive need to improve upon his previous works now brings us the new CGI Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie. It, by all accounts, looks stunning. The buzz on the net is palpable. My inner child/inner geek is looking forward to it. The rest of me wants to pull a Cher in Moonstruck on Lucas... *SLAP* "Snap outta it!"

Haven't we seen enough? Isn't in definitive enough for him? What does he want? Do we really need to grow attached to even more DOOMED young jedi? Yes, Ahsoka looks cute and scrappy...except for the big bullseye on her fucking head! George, if I promise to cry next time Palpatine gives Order 66, will you stop toying with my emotions?

How about something "new" George? What about the Timothy Zahn novels? I'm down with seeing Luke try to rebuild the Jedi Order & Han try to be a father. Imagine, if you will, Angelina Jolie as Mara Jade. Doesn't that singular idea drive millions of geeks to the theater? Hell, the Dark Empire graphic novels were da bomb! I'm sure you could totally ruin...I mean turn those into movies.

.

No comments: