Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Finally some good football news! Muhahaha...

Vinny, older than dirt, Testaverde is joining the Panthers! Jake is out for the season and Carr is having back trouble. So, they needed a back-up for their back-up. Hurney & Fox picked Testaverde. If I pray really hard, maybe they'll tank worst than the Eagles. Does that make me a bad person or just an Eagles fan?

Perhaps you need some prospective...

As "ya'll" know, I'm a Philadelphian & die-hard Eagles fan living in the Charlotte region. Panthers fans are nice people. I hate them for that. The first thing they do when they learn that I'm an Eagles fan is complain about how the Eagles fans treated Panthers fans during that playoff game a few years back. I smile when that comes up. Stupid newbie football fans. Most of their stories start with, "Everyone warned us to not wear any Panthers gear at the game, but we just didn't believe them." I just love Charlotteans. So wonderfully naive.

When I first got to Charlotte I read the local paper and watched the nightly news every day. It's something a professor of mine taught me in grad school; learn about your new home by subscribing to the local paper for a while. It really helps. But I digress...

The big story for over a month was a rash of stolen cars from suburban neighborhoods. In almost every victim interview they admitted to leaving their car doors unlocked. Occasionally, victims or neighbors would admit to leaving their keys in their cars. Heck, some cars were stolen out of garages because people left their garage doors open all night.

This was one of my first and most lasting impressions of the good people of Charlotte. Couple this with naive Panthers fans who went to Philly in their Panthers gear, and I've just got to laugh.

In all seriousness, I really do like Charlotte and am regularly impressed -- ignoring cheerleader-gate for a moment -- with the Panthers organization. Coach Fox is generally loved by the fans and players. He keeps his team competitive even when they shouldn't be. They've got a nice stadium. I even waved a rally towel -- I didn't inhale -- in their honor at a MNF game at BoA Stadium. That said, I really do relish the idea of a Panthers implosion this season.

Perhaps I can start the cheer now...

Vinny! Vinny! Vinny!

No comments: