Saturday, October 06, 2007

The War

So, I don't know if anyone else has watched it, but the new Ken Burns series, the War is excellent. We got the antenna & digital tuner just in time. I've been recording the episodes and watching them a little at a time.

I really think that the series does a tremendous job of riding the line between holding up the greatness of America while pointing out our darker side. The treatment of both Black & Japanese Americans are held up for all of us as an appalling part of our history. It is not something to be ignored. It is not something we should wallow in guilt about. Instead, we should learn.

Actually, the entire series has reminded me of a lot of things about our past that we keep forgetting. War is hell. Prejudice sucks. We can do anything if we put our minds to it.

Well, this could easily turn into a massive soapbox, but it's late and I'm tired from moving all the furniture in my computer room to fit the "new" desk.

Most PBS stations have this series on heavy rotation, so check your local listing and watch!

No comments: