Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Society Afraid of Compromises

I think we've become a society afraid of compromises. I look and I see today's story about the 14 year old who shot 4 people and then killed himself and I wonder how it came to that. I wonder why we can't have sensible gun laws that are enforced.

I come from an anti-gun background. Growing up the son of an urban minister father and a social activist mom, I learned to question the fun of playing war. When I was 16 and a classmate was shot 4 times in the back -- just for talking to a girl -- I understood then what the fuss was about.

As an adult, my wife's family taught my about the gun's place in rural farm life. It makes sense. Hunting means protecting livestock and feeding your family. It's a cherished part of rural American life.

The NRA & the gun lobby urges us that gun laws only keep guns from law-abiding citizens. The limited data on the subject seems to support whomever wants to make an argument for or against. To this day, the idea that anyone can justify the need for an assault weapon because they are an enthusiast with God-given rights seems completely stupid. I will never understand why rapid-fire guns with high capacity magazines are allowed to be manufactured for the public. It serves no societal benefit.

Still, it's clear to me that enough people disagree with my assessment. And so, we remain divided. Just as we remain divided on abortion, homosexuality, immigration, Iraq & countless other topics. I'm a believer in the two-party system. I'm also a believer in finding reasonable compromises. Our leadership is failing us.

Perhaps no law would have prevented this latest school violence. Still, I can't help but think that gun enforcement should be a priority. National databases should be kept. Laws should be enforced. Lethal weapons should, for the good of all, be controlled. I'm not advocating a total gun ban. I'm advocating that we get our heads out of our assess and think sensibly for once.

1 comment:

Crash said...

Gun Control - You and I have had this conversation before. And in principal we agree, what the hell does a hunter need with an automatic rifle and teflon coated bullets. I also see the NRA's side though. Our legal system works on precedence. Once you set a precedence I.E. Fully Auto Assualt Rifles, the next step is easy, Semi Auto Assualt Rifles, then Assault Rifles and then Rifles. It really can become a very slippery slope. I also feel that taking away guns (I know you are not advocating a complete ban) is like taking cough syrup. It stops the coughing and you feel better, but it does not cure the disease. I am not sure what can be done, mostly because I feel the problem starts at home. You might have also heard that a Columbine type plan was foiled right here in Plymouth Meeting yesterday. The kid's mom bought him the one real gun he had. A nine millimeter pistol. All the signs were there that he was interested in violence not target shooting and he was not about to go hunting anything with 4 legs with a 9mm. As you know, Lori works in Alternative Ed. When she talks about her students, none of them have parents that are really involved in the kids lives. It starts at home. Ok as you like to say, Thump thump...I am now off of my soap box