Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Good OpEd Piece on Marriage

Taking Marriage Private - NYT

The above link is a quality Op-Ed piece with a short history lesson about the use of Marriage Licenses and the questionable melding of government & religion for the purpose of legal documentation.

I've been saying (to anyone who will listen) that I don't give a rats ass about the government's opinion about marriage as long as they make no laws to infringe on my (or anyone else's rights.) My marriage is something determined by Slick, myself & God. I don't want or need some politician to tell me that my marriage is more moral or proper than someone else's.

While I personally think that the anti-gay rhetoric in some religious bodies is rather appalling and hypocritical, I also believe that my friend NothingNew is right when he routinely says, "People are entitled to their own wrong opinions" as long as said opinions do no harm to others.

Too much "sacred" stuff has been twisted by well-meaning people in government. Yes, a person's religious believes must be a moral compass to the decisions they make. Yes, this holds true for Government. But again, I want Government to stay out of my marriage. I believe, as does the author, that there are reasonable ways to determine ownership, dependency & beneficiary without getting involved my (or anyone else's) marriage.

Anyway, enjoy the link and I'll get off my soapbox now.

No comments: