Friday, November 09, 2007

Not as painful as I thought

Well, the new computer setup was not as painful as I thought.

- Adjustment #1: Getting Vista to talk to XP. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the problem until I checked the web and found that Vista will only talk to XP-boxes with a special update loaded from Windows. Why was this update never simply added to all XP Automatic updates?

- Adjustment #2: All the jokes and complaints about the permissions box are true. It got old in the first 10 minutes. There's no way to train it to automate. The worst is when I started a 20 minute software install and try to walk away. Nope, every "element" of the install wanted another approval. I sat through the entire thing.

- Adjustment #3: (Actually, this is a good one.) This computer is so much more powerful than my old one. World of Warcraft rendered FAST FAST FAST!!! I turned on all the video shading and all the sound effects. Woosh, Bang, Frames!!! I don't know how much Vista slows stuff down, but going from a Low-End AMD Athlon 64 w/1Gig RAM to a Intel Core Duo E6550 w/ 2Gig RAM is like going from a Yugo to a BMW.

- Adjustment #4: On my old box, I avoided using "fancy features" like Google Desktop. Well, now I've got all these gadgets floating around. It's really kind of cool. I admit to liking the sidebar. I loaded the Google Talk, Calendar, Email & Notepad. It's nice.

Anyway, it's late and I should hit the sack. Lots of unfinished chores to complete. Yes, I dropped everything to setup the computer. Did you expect anything different?

No comments: