Thursday, November 22, 2007

iDad

Happy Thanksgiving!

The big news around here is not my birthday (yesterday) or the moistness of the turkey (mouthwatering) but the surprise early birthday/Christmas present for my Father (from everyone.) Since we're all together and mom wanted to do something extra special for Dad's 65th, we got him an iPhone. And yes, it pwns all other phones.

The hardest part about the gift was talking to him last night. He was actively verbalizing his desires for a way to get easy access to email while on the go. But he was also asking me all these questions about iTunes & YouTube. He was seriously considering a Laptop purchase. The more he talked the more I realized that he was describing an iPhone to me without realizing it. It suddenly dawned on me that iPhone was not made for me, but for him. I'm just a gadget nut. He's actually going to use all the features.

OK, desiring all these things is fine, but navigating these little devices is a whole different story right? Wrong. His old computer did take a while to load everything, but setup was a breeze. He was flipping to wide-screen & zooming with his fingers like a pro in the first hour. At one point he called me back into the room excitedly to show me how he could find a contact (from his imported contact list) and use Google maps to get directions to their house in a matter of seconds. Imaging the value of this for a busy pastor trying to do visits. For the first time in my 35 years, I saw where I got my "new-toy" giddiness.

Now, if I could get his attention for a moment, maybe we can play some cards or something. Hmmm...maybe I should try calling him. :-)

No comments: