Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No Going Back Now

Since the HP box needed a re-image, I thought that this would be a perfect opportunity to play with Ubuntu. I worked with Linux & Unix a few years ago while I was still in the I.T. profession. It's been a while, but I've also read that Ubuntu is a lot more "user-friendly" than those old /root command days.

Everything was simple enough in the beginning. I downloaded the *.iso image to my Dell and made a CD-image. I then got to work on the HP. The splash screens are rather simple, except that I was having problems with the partitioning. I really wanted to keep the recovery partition. Unfortunately, I screwed up. Keeping a partition requires the user to manually select the boot & swap partitions. While doing this, I allowed myself to become distracted and deleted the wrong partition. Still, that meant I could go back and start over with the automated process.
So like Cortez, I've burned my fleet and am now stuck with either figuring out Ubuntu or having a really big doorstop.

Welcome to the new world.

No comments: