Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Life w/ Ubuntu

I am typing this from my Vista machine, but I've gotten things setup on the Ubuntu machine well enough that I could easily be doing it there.

Ubuntu's leg up on my previous Linux experience is that everything is graphic-interface. I've not had to type anything into a code window yet. That's good. The trick has been learning how to find and download software. Slowly, I've been getting the hang of downloading and installing. The files are not "executable" but must be run through a package manager.

Ubuntu itself loaded with all the drivers I needed or found them in an automatic search. Again, this is much improved over my previous Linux experience when I had to find every driver bit by bit before I could get the GUI to load.

Ubuntu also came pre-loaded with Firefox 2.0, OpenOffice & most of the utilities I needed. Thus far, I have successfully installed: Firestarter (Firewall), Pidgin (Multi-Instant Messager tool), Google Desktop, Picasa2 & flash plug-ins for the browser.

My big issues are now:
  1. Integrating the machine into my Home workgroup for file and printer sharing.
  2. Turning the machine back into my main entertainment center PC. This is a challenge since several online video streaming programs require or function better with internet explorer. I am exploring the options here.
  3. Understanding the need for and installation of Virus Protection.
  4. Learning about available software and the pitfalls of installation.
Anyway, it's a fun and stimulating exercise. I can't live without Windows since I'm a gamer and games run on windblows, but I'm impressed with what can be done thus far.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. I was also able to use my card reader to load photos from my camera. So, that's another success.

No comments: